Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Josh's 3rd Birthday


My boy turned 3 yesterday. I took the day off of work and we had a great time. We had a full day, first we took the car to get new tires. We walked over to the store while we waited for the car and Josh got to choose his birthday present. Oh My Gosh. Talk about a kid-in-a-candy-store. He wanted everything (of course!). He finally settled on a new Star Wars action figure set. He was hopping up and down and loving life. By then it was getting to be lunch-time and Josh's next choice was where we ate lunch. He kept saying he wanted McDonald's, and Miguel and I kept laughing. He thought having chicken nuggets, apples and chocolate milk would make the perfect birthday, until I suggested Red Robin and then he wouldn't let go of it. We suggested alternatives, but he'd made up his mind. I thought it was the perfect choice.

I was pretty excited he chose Red Robin because I thought it would be great fun for the staff to sing to him. As soon as we were done eating we started hearing the cheering and clapping of the staff all coming to sing to him. He looked all around trying to see what the fuss was about. When the waitress set a big hot fudge sundae in front of him, his face was priceless. These pictures do NOT do it justice. He was mystified and slightly embarrassed and completly loving the attention. He got a balloon too. He loved every minute of it.
At that point we went home for naps for everyone. The kids were pooped becuase we'd done so much in the morning and they ended up napping late. After they woke up, we went to the store and got cupcakes. He chose "Green ones!" We were all set for a quiet little get-together around the webcam at home in the evening. He knew we'd eat the cupcakes after dinner.
We had Josh's choice again for dinner (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches cut in squares and triangles, with blackberry jam, bananas and milk). After dinner we grabbed the cupcakes and settled down in front of the webcam so Grandma and Grandpa Felix could help us sing Happy Birthday and watch him get messy and gross from the frosting. I'm a terrible mom, because I didn't even realize I didn't take pictures of him with his candles and cupcake. I was so excited to have Grandparent participation I didn't even consider saving the moment forever in time. At least we got pictures from Red Robin.
After getting quite messy and staying up a little bit too late, he finally went to bed. We will be buying him a big-boy bed very soon and he talks about it all the time. He can't wait to give Katie his crib and share his room with her.
It was a good birthday for my Josh. He had a great day.

2 comments:

secwalker said...

Sounds like a really fun day. I think you're a GREAT mom, pictures of cake or not :)

Jenjenbug said...

Sounds like so much fun and like you all had a great time! What a great idea (now that he can appreciate the attention and stuff).