Thursday, June 28, 2007

Brief Visitor

Last Thursday was an interesting day. Miguel woke up and...well, let me use his words:
I woke up and noticed the dogs weren't in the house so I went in the backyard to check on them. I noticed that Sarge had one of Joanne's athletic socks in his mouth. I instantly got irritated that he managed to sneak it outside of the house. I walked outside and gave him the command "Out! - Out!" which for him means to drop whatever he has in his mouth. After he dropped the sock I saw it RUN across the lawn. It scared the hell out of me. Both dogs took off after the moving sock again and cornered it. "Lay down! Stay!" I commanded. I walked up to the moving sock and realized that it was not a moving sock at all, it was a kitten!

I picked the kitten up and brought it in the house. It INSTANTLY ran to the dogs water bowl and drank for about 2 minutes. I then offered it some dog food and it
ate way too much than what a kitten should eat.

Luckily my dogs didn't hurt it, and in fact my dogs just licked it. It was kind of cute watching the dogs play with the kitten. Sarge was licking it so much that the kitten looked like it fell into a pool.
So Miguel took care of the kitten on Thursday, and I posted pictures of it on Craigslist and Freecycle on Friday morning. We had responses on Saturday morning and by mid-day a seemingly loving family arrived and took the little beast off of our hands for good.

Needless to say, 2 large dogs (regardless of how playful and loving) combined with our toddler and a sleep-deprived Miguel don't mix well and the kitten spent some quality time in the bathtub on Thursday and Friday. He was much more playful and fun on Friday so we got our kitten-fix for awhile. Thankfully there were no "accidents" in the house, and hopefully 2 days of dog food won't stunt its growth too badly. Miguel ended up with battle scars from trying to "unstuck" the kitten from under the couch, but other than that, we came out unscathed. Hopefully Josh throwing the kitten into the fireplace once didn't cause any permanent damage...I think he does better with bigger animals at this age, though the path to "gentle" has at least now been introduced.

More adventures will be posted soon...as we've recently acquired another "visitor." Stay tuned.

No comments: